Plan International Australia (Plan) – ABN 49 004 875 807
Plan International Australia ACN 004 875 807 (Plan) provides a range of products and services designed to assist children around the world to reach their full potential. Plan maintains a relationship with you in order to provide opportunities for you to join in assisting needy children and their communities.
Plan is committed to protecting personal information. When collecting, using and handling personal information, Plan is required to comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) set out in that Act. This Statement sets out how we collect, use and manage personal information.
'Personal information' means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable (whether the information or opinion is true or not or recorded in any form or not).Examples of personal information include your name, postal address, telephone number and email address.
When used in this statement, personal information also includes sensitive information, which can include information about an individual's racial or ethnic origin, political opinions or memberships, religious beliefs or affiliations and philosophical beliefs.
The personal information we typically collect is:
- contact details such as your name, postal address, email address, phone numbers;
- your date of birth, gender, income, occupation;
- your employer details, if you participate in work place giving;
- a history of your donations, correspondences and other interactions with Plan;
- your interests and opinions;
- your Plan supporter number;
- credit card or bank account details; and
- your Plan website username and password and activities performed when you login to a Plan related website.
We also maintain details of the Plan International products and services that you use such as:
- Child sponsorship
- Supporter of Change
- Children in Crisis Fund
- Project donations
- Plan Ezine (monthly online newsletter)
- Global Child magazine
Where it is practicable to do so, you may choose to remain anonymous or deal with us using a pseudonym. However, if you choose not to provide your personal information, we may not be able to process your donation or provide you with the Plan products or services you request.
Plan International collects personal information in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you, when you provide information by phone, SMS, in person, via our website or in application forms
- from third parties who organise fundraising activities on our behalf
- from a third party who makes a donation on your behalf or nominates you as the recipient of a gift or other communication regarding that donation
- from some third parties to whom you have given permission to share your personal information;
- from publicly available sources
- from our own records of how you use our products and services
- from your use of our Internet websites
- We may also collect personal information when we are legally required to do so, such as security and police checks if you wish to visit your sponsored child in an overseas country.
When we collect personal information, we are required to take reasonable steps to ensure that you are aware of certain matters relating to the collection of personal information. Plan does this by ensuring that a 'collection statement' is provided at the time your personal information is collected and may require you to provide consent at the point of collection.
Where we collect your personal information indirectly from third parties, we generally require the third party to assure us that it has obtained your consent to share the information or is otherwise authorised to provide us with that information.
When you provide us with personal information about other individuals, we rely upon you to:
- make them aware of this Statement
- make them aware that you have provided us with that information
- obtain their consent or ensure that you are otherwise authorised to provide us with that information.
If Plan International receives unsolicited personal information that could not have been collected under the APPs, we will destroy or de-identify such information as soon as practicable (except where it would be unlawful or unreasonable to do so). Where Plan could have collected such information, the information will be protected and handled in accordance with this Statement.
Plan International uses and discloses your personal information primarily to enable us to provide and improve our products and services for you. For example, we use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- managing and processing donations and providing receipts
- sending you information about your donation and about Plan’s activities
- confirming your identity when you make enquiries, answering your queries and addressing any feedback you may have
- notifying you about human and child rights situations around the world
- notifying you about our other causes, products and services that may be of interest to you
- providing you with new opportunities to assist children and their communities living in poverty
- conducting analysis and research so that we can better meet your needs
- training our personnel
- any other specific purposes for which it was requested.
Plan will not disclose your personal information for a purpose that is not related to your relationship with us without your prior consent, except as we may be required to do so by law. In order to communicate with you in relation to the activities of Plan, we may securely disclose your personal information to third parties. These third parties assist Plan by providing the following services:
- mail-out services
- email distribution services
- information technology services
- telecommunication and telemarketing services
- marketing analysis and research services
- benchmarking and data analysis services
- website usage analysis
- call centre operations
- process donations and payments.
Plan takes reasonable steps to ensure that the third parties providing these services are contractually bound by privacy and confidentiality obligations in relation to their use of your personal information and that they only use your personal information for the specific purpose(s) for which we supply it.
When you sponsor a child, your contact details (such as your address and telephone number) are not disclosed to Plan's overseas offices or your sponsored child. However, details such as your supporter number, name, gender and country of origin are provided to your sponsored child. If your information is transferred overseas then it is done in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles.
Plan may send you offers relating to other causes, products and services that may be of interest to you. We may also re-connect with past supporters by sending information about Plan and its current activities. If you no longer wish to receive marketing or promotional material from Plan at all or in any particular form, you may contact us with your request on the details provided in Item 8 ("Accessing your personal information") below. We will comply with your request as soon as practicable. Where we send you electronic messages for direct marketing purposes, each message will contain a functional means for you to opt out of receiving such messages.
Plan may also send you offers relating to the products and services of third parties that also provide financial support to Plan. We do not disclose your personal information to these organisations. If you accept any offer from a third party organisation, communicated to you by Plan, you become their customer and they may send offers to you.
Plan holds personal information in secure hard-copy files and in electronic databases. Our information systems and files are protected from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure by maintaining up-to-date physical, computer and network security systems with appropriate firewalls, encryption technology and passwords to protect electronic copies of personal information.
Plan believes that the relationship you have with us is one that should be comfortable and appropriate to your needs. To maintain our on-going relationship with you, it is important for us to retain a basic electronic record of your personal information in order to:
- keep a record of your generosity, in case you want to reference it in the future
- respond to any enquiries that could arise in relation to our international child protection obligations
- manage our legacies program effectively
- re-connect with past supporters that may be interested in supporting Plan's current activities.
Plan will therefore hold the personal information you provide to us:
- until such time as you specifically withdraw your consent by notifying us that we should no longer hold your information, or
- where your information is no longer needed for any purpose for which it may be used or disclosed, Plan will take reasonable steps to permanently destroy or de-identify your information.
Plan takes reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. We recommend that you let us know if there are any errors in, or changes to, your personal information by contacting us using the details provided in Item 8 ("Accessing your personal information") below. We may periodically ask you to inform us if there are any changes to your personal information.
If any of the information we are holding is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date, we will take reasonable steps to correct the information so that it is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
Our websites www.plan.org.au and my.plan.org.au use security encrypted response forms when personal and financial details are required. The security we use between your browser and our website is TLS/SSL with certificate authorities and public key infrastructure. Your web browser will indicate through the use of a padlock icon in the address bar that it supports TLS/SSL security. Click on the padlock icon to verify the security certificate for this website. You can then verify that the certificate is issued to Plan, by which authority it was issued and the period of validity for the certificate.
Plan Intentional Australia's websites contain links to other websites. Other websites may also have links to our websites. In either case this Statement does not apply to, and Plan International is not responsible for, the content, privacy practices or business practices of any website or organisation except our own. Our online surveys may ask for contact information as well as some demographic information to find out what we can do to better meet your needs.
Cookies, which are industry standard and are used by most websites, can facilitate a user's ongoing access to and use of a site. Cookies are data that a website transfers to an individual's hard drive for record-keeping purposes. Cookies are anonymous and not personally identifiable. It does not contain your name, address, telephone number or email address.
As you browse our website, advertising cookies will be placed on your computer so that we can understand what you are interested in. Our display advertising partners, then enable us to present you with retargeting advertising on other sites based on your previous interaction with our website. The techniques our partners employ do not collect personal information such as your name, email address, postal address or telephone number. You can visit this page to opt out of our partners’ targeted advertising.
Subject to some exceptions provided by law, you have the right to request access to the personal information which we hold about you. For security purposes, if you would like to access this information, we require you to put your request in writing using the contact details provided below. We will not charge you for lodging a request to access your personal information. Where we do not allow you access to any part of your personal information, we will tell you the reasons why we cannot provide access.
Supporters also have the right to update their personal details online at any time via MyPlan. If you want to access your personal information, correct the information you have previously given us, opt-out of future communications or withdraw your consent for us to hold your personal information, please contact us.
Plan will periodically review this Statement to ensure that it remains up-to-date. We reserve the right to make minor changes to this Statement from time to time without notice. Any changes will be published on this page on our website. However, if changes are made to this Statement regarding how Plan will use and disclose your personal information then you will be personally notified of the changes.
If you believe your privacy has been interfered with and wish to make a complaint, please contact our Privacy Officer on the contact details provided below. The Privacy Officer will acknowledge our receipt of your complaint, then investigate your complaint and notify you of the outcome. If your complaint indicates that there has been an interference with your privacy by a person other than Plan, the Privacy Officer may discuss the complaint with that other person in an attempt to resolve it.
If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint or the way we handle it, you may make a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
If you would like further information on this Statement, or if you have any concern about the protection of your personal information or wish to make a complaint, please contact us. If you're sending us a letter or email, please mark your request "Attention: Privacy Officer"