Plan's General Privacy Statement
Plan International Australia (Plan) – ABN 49 004 875 807
1. Plan's commitment to you
Plan International Australia ACN 004 875 807 (Plan) is bound by the provisions of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). This document describes how we handle personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act and the National Privacy Principles.
Plan is committed to the highest levels of customer service. This includes protecting your privacy. Any personal information that you provide is only used for the purposes outlined below.
2. What is personal information?
Under federal privacy law, personal information is information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database) from which it is possible to determine your identity.
Examples of personal information include your name, postal address, telephone number and email address.
3. What personal information does Plan collect?
Plan provides a range of services and facilities designed to assist children around the world to reach their full potential. Plan maintains a relationship with you in order to provide opportunities for you to join in assisting needy children and their communities.
The personal information we typically collect is:
- contact details such as your name, postal address, email address, phone numbers;
- your date of birth, gender, income, occupation;
- your employer details, if you participate in work place giving;
- a history of your donations, correspondences and other interactions with Plan;
- your interests;
- your Plan supporter number;
- credit card or bank account details; and
- your Plan web site username and password and activities performed when you login to a Plan related web site.
We also maintain details of the Plan services and facilities that you use such as:
- child sponsorship;
- Priority Project Sponsorship;
- Children in Crisis Fund;
- project donations;
- Plan Ezine; and
- Plan magazine.
When you contact Plan, you may choose to remain anonymous. However, if you choose not to provide your personal information, we may not be able to process your donation or provide you with the Plan products or services you request.
4. How Plan collects your personal information
Plan collects personal information in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you, when you provide information by phone, SMS, in person, via our website or in application forms;
- from third parties who organise fundraising activities on our behalf;
- from a third party who makes a donation and gives it to you or nominates you as the recipient of communication regarding that donation;
- from some third parties to whom you have given permission to share your personal information;
- from publicly available sources;
- from our own records of how you use our services and facilities;
- from your use of our Internet site; and
- when we are legally required to do so, such as security and police checks if you wish to visit your sponsored child in an overseas country.
5. How Plan uses and discloses you personal information
Plan uses your personal information primarily to enable us to provide and improve Plan's services to you – for example, to process donations, provide receipts, send you information about your donation and about Plan, confirm your identity when you make enquiries, answer your queries and address any feedback you may have, notify you about human and child rights situations around the world and our other causes, product and services, and provide you with new opportunities to assist children and their communities living in poverty.
It may also be used for:
- Any purposes for which it was requested
- Directly related purposes.
In order to communicate with you in relation to the activities of Plan, we may disclose your personal information to third parties. These third parties assist Plan by providing the following services:
- mail-out services;
- email distribution services;
- information technology services;
- telecommunication and telemarketing services;
- marketing analysis services;
- benchmarking and data analysis services;
- market research;
- website usage analysis;
- call centre operations;
- fundraising; and
- process donations and payments for products and services.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the external organisations providing these services are contractually bound by privacy and confidentiality obligations in relation to their use of your personal information and that they only use your personal information for the specific purpose for which we supply it.
When you sponsor a child, your contact details such as your address and telephone number are not disclosed to Plan's overseas offices or your sponsored child. However, details such as your supporter number, name, gender and country of origin are provided to your sponsored child.
Plan may send you offers relating to the products and services of organisations that also provide financial support to Plan. We do not disclose your personal information to these organisations. We do not rent or sell your information to other organisations without your direct consent. If you take advantage of any offer from a third party organisation, communicated via Plan and you become their customer, they may send offers to you.
You may opt out at any time - see clause 9.
6. Privacy and the internet
Our website www.plan.org.au uses security encrypted response forms when personal and financial details are required. The security we use between your browser and our website is SSL (Secure Sockets Layer). A security icon visible at the bottom of your screen eg a padlock, confirms that your browser supports SSL security. Double click on the security icon to verify the security certificate on this website. You will then see a box which displays who the certificate is issued to, who it was issued by and the period of validity of the certificate.
Plan's websites contain links to other websites. Other websites may also have links to our websites. In either case, we are not responsible for the content, privacy practices or business practices of any website or organisation except our own.
Our online surveys may ask for contact information as well as some demographic information, to find out what we can do to better meet your needs.
Plan collects statistics on visitor traffic to our websites so that we can constantly improve its usefulness. All such statistics are anonymous and do not identify specific visitors. Some of our web traffic reports are created by using website monitoring conducted by Google Analytics
Cookies, which are industry standard and are used by most websites, can facilitate a user's ongoing access to and use of a site. Cookies are data that a website transfers to an individual's hard drive for record-keeping purposes. Cookies are anonymous and not personally identifiable. It does not contain your name, address, telephone number or email address.
As you browse our website, advertising cookies will be placed on your computer so that we can understand what you are interested in. Our display advertising partners, then enable us to present you with retargeting advertising on other sites based on your previous interaction with our website. The techniques our partners employ do not collect personal information such as your name, email address, postal address or telephone number. You can visit this page to opt out of our partners’ targeted advertising.
As you browse our website, advertising cookies will be placed on your computer so that we can understand what you are interested in. Our display advertising partner, AdRoll, then enables us to present you with retargeting advertising on other sites based on your previous interaction with our website. The techniques our partners employ do not collect personal information such as your name, email address, postal address or telephone number. You can visit this page to opt out of AdRoll and their partners’ targeted advertising.
7. Accuracy of information
Plan takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. We recommend that you:
- let us know if there are any errors in your personal information; and
- keep us informed of changes to personal information such as your name or address.
We will correct any personal information we hold which you advise is not accurate, complete or up-to-date.
8. Accessing information
Plan believes that the relationship you have with us is one that should be comfortable and appropriate to your needs. If at any time you do not wish to receive any communications or marketing materials, please let us know.
Subject to some exceptions provided by law, you have the right to access your personal information which we hold. For security purposes, if you would like to access this information, we require you to put your request in writing. If we do not allow you access to any part of the information we hold about you, we will tell you why.
Supporters also have the right to update and/or alter their details at any time. Supporters can manage their personal details online via MyPlan.
We will not charge you for lodging a request to access your personal information, but we may charge you for our reasonable costs in supplying you with access to this information.
9. Giving you control
If you want to change any information that you have previously given us, or if you want to opt out of future communications, you can either:
- Send an email to email@example.com
- Call our supporter service centre on 13 PLAN (13 7526) or +61 3 9672 3600 (callers outside Australia)
- Post a letter to Plan:
GPO Box 2818,
Melbourne VIC 3001
When contacting us to change your details, please include the following information:
- Contact details (name, postal address, telephone number);
- Plan supporter number (if you have one).
We may make changes to this policy from time to time without notice. Any changes will be reflected on this page.
10. Contacting us
If you have any questions in relation to privacy, you can contact us by:
- Sending an email by firstname.lastname@example.org
- Calling our supporter service centre on 13 PLAN (13 7526) or +61 3 9672 3600 (callers outside Australia)
- Posting a letter to Plan:
GPO Box 2818,
Melbourne VIC 3001
Please mark your request "Attention: Privacy Officer".
Privacy Act - http://www.privacy.gov.au/law/act